The Christmas season is in full swing. It’s that time of year when everyone’s sipping hot chocolate, baking Christmas cookies, and spending time with loved ones exchanging that one white elephant gift that is seemingly re-gifted every single year. With all the happiness and cheer of the holidays, it’s easy to forget the travel it takes to make these memories happen. Winter is coming! With winter comes inclement weather and adverse road conditions. Travelling during the holidays is practically unavoidable; as much as you may not want to see your pesky in-laws, you have a moral obligation to drive through the snow, sleet, and rain to see family. Dominic Toretto wouldn’t have it any other way. Just remember to take your time on the roads and be respectful of other drivers; a few minutes saved here or there isn’t worth the risk of an accident to you or anyone else on the road.
As we gear up for the upcoming winter storm, here are a few tips to keep yourself as safe as possible on the roads:
· Reduce your speed to match conditions
· Lightly tap brakes when slowing down. Avoid hard braking.
· Do not use cruise control.
· Turn into the slide rather than correcting the turn, if you start to slide. Whichever way the rear of the vehicle slides, turn your wheels in the same direction.
· Avoid taking infrequently traveled/untreated steep hills, bridges and other areas if possible.
· Always stay vigilant on the road to best react to an unforeseen situation.
Remember these tips and stay safe out there during your holiday traveling. From Nicholas Insurance Solutions, have a happy holiday and a happy new year!